Electrical Dryer outlet
This meant that @ 240volts there was Hot-Hot-Ground.
The problem was that ranges and dryers began evolving many 120vac assessories, lights, timers, bells, whistles , etc....
This meant current was 'returning' on the grounding conductor. Granted, a negligible qantity at first, but increasingly so, thus this introducing a hazard.
So it became a code ( i'm thinking the 93' or 96' cycle without looking) to have a 4-prong receptacle and 'pigtail'
( cord from unit).
so now we have Hot-Hot-Nuetral-Ground
This is not so far fetched if one considers the modern day receptacle that has Hot-Nuetral-Ground ( looks like a face with the ground down)
There is a real hazard with the Three (3) conductor cord-sets by using the Neutral for both the neutral and the equipment grounding conducor. Especially since the motor is 120 volts, if by chance you lose the neutral, albeit loose, broken or if it comes apart, the whole appliance will be energised and can become a serious shock hazard.
Be careful and be safe.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 10 DIY Ways Renters Can Customize Their Space
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Secondhand Shopping Tips