Electrical Dryer outlet
This meant that @ 240volts there was Hot-Hot-Ground.
The problem was that ranges and dryers began evolving many 120vac assessories, lights, timers, bells, whistles , etc....
This meant current was 'returning' on the grounding conductor. Granted, a negligible qantity at first, but increasingly so, thus this introducing a hazard.
So it became a code ( i'm thinking the 93' or 96' cycle without looking) to have a 4-prong receptacle and 'pigtail'
( cord from unit).
so now we have Hot-Hot-Nuetral-Ground
This is not so far fetched if one considers the modern day receptacle that has Hot-Nuetral-Ground ( looks like a face with the ground down)
There is a real hazard with the Three (3) conductor cord-sets by using the Neutral for both the neutral and the equipment grounding conducor. Especially since the motor is 120 volts, if by chance you lose the neutral, albeit loose, broken or if it comes apart, the whole appliance will be energised and can become a serious shock hazard.
Be careful and be safe.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!