Electrical Dryer outlet
This meant that @ 240volts there was Hot-Hot-Ground.
The problem was that ranges and dryers began evolving many 120vac assessories, lights, timers, bells, whistles , etc....
This meant current was 'returning' on the grounding conductor. Granted, a negligible qantity at first, but increasingly so, thus this introducing a hazard.
So it became a code ( i'm thinking the 93' or 96' cycle without looking) to have a 4-prong receptacle and 'pigtail'
( cord from unit).
so now we have Hot-Hot-Nuetral-Ground
This is not so far fetched if one considers the modern day receptacle that has Hot-Nuetral-Ground ( looks like a face with the ground down)
There is a real hazard with the Three (3) conductor cord-sets by using the Neutral for both the neutral and the equipment grounding conducor. Especially since the motor is 120 volts, if by chance you lose the neutral, albeit loose, broken or if it comes apart, the whole appliance will be energised and can become a serious shock hazard.
Be careful and be safe.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Make Your Own Bookcase: 10 DIY Designs