Electrical Dryer outlet
This meant that @ 240volts there was Hot-Hot-Ground.
The problem was that ranges and dryers began evolving many 120vac assessories, lights, timers, bells, whistles , etc....
This meant current was 'returning' on the grounding conductor. Granted, a negligible qantity at first, but increasingly so, thus this introducing a hazard.
So it became a code ( i'm thinking the 93' or 96' cycle without looking) to have a 4-prong receptacle and 'pigtail'
( cord from unit).
so now we have Hot-Hot-Nuetral-Ground
This is not so far fetched if one considers the modern day receptacle that has Hot-Nuetral-Ground ( looks like a face with the ground down)
There is a real hazard with the Three (3) conductor cord-sets by using the Neutral for both the neutral and the equipment grounding conducor. Especially since the motor is 120 volts, if by chance you lose the neutral, albeit loose, broken or if it comes apart, the whole appliance will be energised and can become a serious shock hazard.
Be careful and be safe.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes