Electrical Dryer outlet
This meant that @ 240volts there was Hot-Hot-Ground.
The problem was that ranges and dryers began evolving many 120vac assessories, lights, timers, bells, whistles , etc....
This meant current was 'returning' on the grounding conductor. Granted, a negligible qantity at first, but increasingly so, thus this introducing a hazard.
So it became a code ( i'm thinking the 93' or 96' cycle without looking) to have a 4-prong receptacle and 'pigtail'
( cord from unit).
so now we have Hot-Hot-Nuetral-Ground
This is not so far fetched if one considers the modern day receptacle that has Hot-Nuetral-Ground ( looks like a face with the ground down)
There is a real hazard with the Three (3) conductor cord-sets by using the Neutral for both the neutral and the equipment grounding conducor. Especially since the motor is 120 volts, if by chance you lose the neutral, albeit loose, broken or if it comes apart, the whole appliance will be energised and can become a serious shock hazard.
Be careful and be safe.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs