Tips on updating breaker box to 200 amp
first off, you should consider what your paying per KWH , here it is almost $.12 , and electric heat is probably THE most expensive way to heat.
next, a home's electrical needs are 'sized' to what is called a 'Demand Load Calculation' , which basically takes the square footage & appliances into consideration.
last, you should not simply upgrade one piece of your electrical service like the panel, as the main wire from the poco to the meter, the meter itself, as well as the wire from the meter into your panel, and all grounding conductors must follow suit for a safe installation.
BTW, I am in the Northeast (Long Island - almost .14/KWH) and the Utility (Power Co.) here requires the House to have certain Insulation values before they will approve installations of Electric Heat. If your set on this it might be a good idea to check with them to make sure that there will be no problem.
[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited September 28, 2002).]
Circuit around or through an I-beam
Finishing Basement - Switchbox Questions
K+T: to replace or not to replace...
What size wire do I use coming off the pole to my ho...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes