Is there a way to install a ceiling fan without going in the attic? If so anyone know of a web site with directions. Thanks.
I don't know of any websites but it is possible. A ceiling fan should be supported properly Either directly on a joist or on a brace between joist. New code requires a special box that has larger screws and/or a way of preventing them from falling out from vibrations. Home depot carries these boxes with braces that can be installed without going into the attic. This will require removing the old box which can be difficult if it has been used as a junction point for other devices which is usually the case. All wires will have to be removed from the existing box then reconnected in the new box. I do not recommend a novice do this on their own. What I suggest is to try to use the old box regardless of code. See if it already has support to the joists and if it does then use lock washers on the mounting screws to the box when installing the ceiling fan mount. If you do not have support, then you will need to go into the attic and support the box. My favorite method is to cut a 2x4 to the distance between the joist and nail both sides to the joist just above the box. Then i lag bolt the box to the newly installed board. This is much cheaper than buying some high fangled home depot ceiling fan brace kit and less tedious, even though it means a trip into the attic. Another thing, If you want the fan and lights switched seperately on the wall, then a new switchleg will have to be fished down the wall and ran to the box in the ceiling and you will once again have to go into the attic. When remodeling with electric devices anything is possible it just depends on what length you will go through to get it done. Good luck.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes