As far as a motion detector, I was afraid that a bird landing on it or snow blowing by may trigger it. If I point it downward from the roof, might even a dog walking by trigger it? I don't know how sensitive those things are.
[This message has been edited by Vic (edited October 20, 2000).]
possums and deer set them off. (I doubt if birds would.)
Also, they only work in low light, so if you wanted to use one to power an alarm of some kind, it would only work at night.
I think it's still not a bad idea. Anyone who is about to steal something and has a light come on in their face isn't likely to stick around. You can use a flood light bulb that shines right on the spot.
Some of them can be set for a fairly narrow range, so the person or animal that sets it off would have to be in just the right place.
Motion detectors work on heat patterns, but cold is also a heat pattern. Some motions work on microwave technology, and some on a combination of both, and even others have both and a micro prossesor. Regaurdless none of these will do what you want without false alarms. What may work is an out door duel Beam. Less expensive would be a siamese coax cable. This is a cable used in CCTV installs, it has a pair of 18 gau wires running in the same insulation as the coax that could easily be tied to the dish as a tamper circut without any signal loss.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Stay Bite-Free with 8 High-Tech Bug Zappers
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Perk Up Your Garden with 10 New Perennials
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools