As far as a motion detector, I was afraid that a bird landing on it or snow blowing by may trigger it. If I point it downward from the roof, might even a dog walking by trigger it? I don't know how sensitive those things are.
[This message has been edited by Vic (edited October 20, 2000).]
possums and deer set them off. (I doubt if birds would.)
Also, they only work in low light, so if you wanted to use one to power an alarm of some kind, it would only work at night.
I think it's still not a bad idea. Anyone who is about to steal something and has a light come on in their face isn't likely to stick around. You can use a flood light bulb that shines right on the spot.
Some of them can be set for a fairly narrow range, so the person or animal that sets it off would have to be in just the right place.
Motion detectors work on heat patterns, but cold is also a heat pattern. Some motions work on microwave technology, and some on a combination of both, and even others have both and a micro prossesor. Regaurdless none of these will do what you want without false alarms. What may work is an out door duel Beam. Less expensive would be a siamese coax cable. This is a cable used in CCTV installs, it has a pair of 18 gau wires running in the same insulation as the coax that could easily be tied to the dish as a tamper circut without any signal loss.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- How to Make Concrete Letters
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps