As far as a motion detector, I was afraid that a bird landing on it or snow blowing by may trigger it. If I point it downward from the roof, might even a dog walking by trigger it? I don't know how sensitive those things are.
[This message has been edited by Vic (edited October 20, 2000).]
possums and deer set them off. (I doubt if birds would.)
Also, they only work in low light, so if you wanted to use one to power an alarm of some kind, it would only work at night.
I think it's still not a bad idea. Anyone who is about to steal something and has a light come on in their face isn't likely to stick around. You can use a flood light bulb that shines right on the spot.
Some of them can be set for a fairly narrow range, so the person or animal that sets it off would have to be in just the right place.
Motion detectors work on heat patterns, but cold is also a heat pattern. Some motions work on microwave technology, and some on a combination of both, and even others have both and a micro prossesor. Regaurdless none of these will do what you want without false alarms. What may work is an out door duel Beam. Less expensive would be a siamese coax cable. This is a cable used in CCTV installs, it has a pair of 18 gau wires running in the same insulation as the coax that could easily be tied to the dish as a tamper circut without any signal loss.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes