Can you go back and verify that each is correctly wired? Generally, black is hot and goes on the gold (small) connector; white is neutral, and goes on the silver (large) connector. The bare wire is ground, which often goes on a green connector.
One more thing: many of those testers can give you misleading information. You might or might not have a hot and ground reversed.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited November 09, 2000).]
I even checked the wiring to the light fixture there is current going through the wires but nothing runs when directly plugged to the wires.
I will not disagree with electricbil, but you have an open neutral ! You have a white wire which may or may not be on it's own dedicated bar,loose. As time goes by heating and cooling will expand and contract these wires and they sometimes come loose. It will happen more often if these wires are aluminum. You need to tighten these lugs and all ground lugs as well. There is a chance you might have a loose hot wire on a breaker, but do the neutrals and grounds first. You MUST be very careful not to be grounded yourself or touch anything which will provide a path for electricity to flow...it can be very unforgiving !!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Weekend Projects: DIY Thanksgiving Decor
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Forgiving Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- 10 Quick Fixes for a More Refreshing Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!