Can you go back and verify that each is correctly wired? Generally, black is hot and goes on the gold (small) connector; white is neutral, and goes on the silver (large) connector. The bare wire is ground, which often goes on a green connector.
One more thing: many of those testers can give you misleading information. You might or might not have a hot and ground reversed.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited November 09, 2000).]
I even checked the wiring to the light fixture there is current going through the wires but nothing runs when directly plugged to the wires.
I will not disagree with electricbil, but you have an open neutral ! You have a white wire which may or may not be on it's own dedicated bar,loose. As time goes by heating and cooling will expand and contract these wires and they sometimes come loose. It will happen more often if these wires are aluminum. You need to tighten these lugs and all ground lugs as well. There is a chance you might have a loose hot wire on a breaker, but do the neutrals and grounds first. You MUST be very careful not to be grounded yourself or touch anything which will provide a path for electricity to flow...it can be very unforgiving !!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!