I bought two lighted switches , that when the lights are turned on , they turn off. I hooked up the wiring like I thought was right and when I turn on the switches, either of them, the 3 lights light dim. Is it impossible to wire 3 lights into a 3 way switch or do I just have some wires hooked up wrong?my wiring is power from the switch--light-light-light- switch...seems like it should be easy to fix but I am pulling my backhair out trying to figure it out!! thanx
I think you've made a wiring mistake. The three lights should not be in series, but rather in parallel. Because they are in series, all the power to any one of them is going through each of them. The result is that none of them is receiving (or "dropping") the needed 120 volts. You can prove that by taking any 2 of them out of the circuit and seeing if the remaining one lights properly.
thanx in advance, that sounds like a plan to try.. real amateur electrician here, I mean well but shouldget some books to really learn some these technical things
for the best information and illustrations on how to wire a 3 or 4 way switch go to: www.danswiringpage.com and click on 3way/4way switches.....a picture is worth a 1000 volts, or is that words ?
Another way to verify if the lights are in series is to remove (all) the bulbs from one of the lights. If the others now make no light at all, that's the problem - they're wired in series.
that 3way 3light diagram on danswiringpages.com sure got me confused. My lights were wired in series,but are now parellel.now one switch runs 2lights and the other switch runs the 3rd. just my luck. back to the wiring diagram I guess
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight