Aluminum wire is solid, silver-colored aluminum, not just coated copper. It was popular only for a brief window of time in the early 70s. During the Vietnam war, copper was less available and a big scare hit that copper supplies would not be sufficient to meet electrical needs. The aluminum industry swept in with a big promotional campaign, and convinced people to use it until the safety problems with aluminum wire became well known. It was banned from new construction shortly thereafter.
There is copper-coated aluminum wire, which can be treated as copper wire, but there is no aluminum-coated copper wire so far as I know.
[This message has been edited by Lawrence (edited January 25, 2001).]
"Copper-Clad Aluminum Conductors.
Conductors drawn from a copper-clad aluminum rod with the copper metallurgically bonded to an aluminum core.
The copper forms a minimum of 10 percent of the cross-sectional area of a solid conductor or each strand of a stranded conductor.
Snap switches rated 20 amperes or less directly connected to aluminum conductors shall be listed and marked CO/ALR.
Receptacles rated 20 amperes or less and designed for the direct connection of aluminum conductors shall be marked CO/ALR."
More comments encouraged.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!