PLEASE HELP ME !!!
I have a ceiling fan/light that is controlled by one wall switch. The fan and light are operated independently by using the pull chains (fan has 3 speeds). The light works fine but the fan will not turn on. The pull chain will no longer "ratchet", so I assumed it was the switch at fault. I took the switch apart, with the wires still in the switch and rotated the switch ratchet to an "on" position. The fan worked. I bought a new switch and wired it like I THOUGHT it was wired before, but it will not work. There were 3 wires going to the switch, going into positions 1, 2, and 3. The L position was not being used (I'm almost sure of that). There is a black, blue and red wire. I have black going to 1, blue going to 2, and red going to 3. What did I do wrong?. Also, I pulled the wires out of the new switch since it didn't work, and it was hard to get them out b/c of the way they are secured after pushing them in. Would that damage anything? Can I rewire the switch? My next step is to buy a new fan/light, but I hate to do that since I know everything works fine. There are only 3 wires going to the switch....The fan worked at 3 different speeds.....One terminal did not have a wire....What's the deal????.....I'm lost.
Unfortunately, many fans use different nomenclature to identify their fan switch connections. A generic switch may look the same but not work at all wired in what appears to be the same configuration. Try purchasing a replacement part from the fan vendor. The "push" switch connections you refer to are generally a one time, one way connection designed for mass production. You will likely damage a fan switch trying to remove the wires unless you have the proper tools. If the original switch is viable, you can diagram it using an ohmmeter, then comparatively diagram your new switch, then install accordingly.
ceiling fan wiring help
3-Way Switch Cheating
Wiring ceiling fan w/ 14-3 sheathed electrical cable
3 way dimmer switch
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight