Yes, there ARE rules. And the cans should come w/directions. Insulation is one BIG concern. They may be IC or not IC rated. Again, read the paperwork ...
RE: Where to put them, there should be 'coverage' info provided too. If the bulb is recessed vs. just the 'can' (but not the bulb), coverage varies. Again, read the paperwork. AT worst, talk to the Retailer that sold them to you.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
7ft Ceiling in high traffic Hallway-Recessed Lightin...
recessed lighting problems
installing recessed lighting
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips