Yes, there ARE rules. And the cans should come w/directions. Insulation is one BIG concern. They may be IC or not IC rated. Again, read the paperwork ...
RE: Where to put them, there should be 'coverage' info provided too. If the bulb is recessed vs. just the 'can' (but not the bulb), coverage varies. Again, read the paperwork. AT worst, talk to the Retailer that sold them to you.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
7ft Ceiling in high traffic Hallway-Recessed Lightin...
recessed lighting problems
installing recessed lighting
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love