Yes, there ARE rules. And the cans should come w/directions. Insulation is one BIG concern. They may be IC or not IC rated. Again, read the paperwork ...
RE: Where to put them, there should be 'coverage' info provided too. If the bulb is recessed vs. just the 'can' (but not the bulb), coverage varies. Again, read the paperwork. AT worst, talk to the Retailer that sold them to you.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
7ft Ceiling in high traffic Hallway-Recessed Lightin...
recessed lighting problems
installing recessed lighting
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight