Running new circuit
I believe that older armoured cable used two wires (black/white)and the armour was the ground.So long as you ground your sheathed electrical cable you're all set.
[This message has been edited by Matches (edited October 26, 2001).]
I'm not clear if you're running the wire just along the ceiling, up a wall, or both. In any event though, be SURE you install the wire properly. Depending on the route you're taking and so on, there are 'protections' that should be incorporated into the project. For example, if you're running wire that needs to pass 'through' a notch in a joist or stud, it needs to have a metal 'cover' to protect it from being nailed into when the wood is covered. (I'm not sure what it's called but it has to be done.)
Consider buying yourself a GOOD DIY Electrical Book. Review the ones from Reader's Digest and Time/Life if you can. If you're doing a lot of renovating vs. new construction, see to it that the book you buy concentrates in renovation more than new construction, vs. the other way around. (Or just get both books.) You'll be spending saved money on a GOOD book.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
Running electric to finish off my Garage
3-Way Switch Cheating
knob and tube
Run conduit from service panel to ceiling joist area?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!