Running new circuit
I believe that older armoured cable used two wires (black/white)and the armour was the ground.So long as you ground your sheathed electrical cable you're all set.
[This message has been edited by Matches (edited October 26, 2001).]
I'm not clear if you're running the wire just along the ceiling, up a wall, or both. In any event though, be SURE you install the wire properly. Depending on the route you're taking and so on, there are 'protections' that should be incorporated into the project. For example, if you're running wire that needs to pass 'through' a notch in a joist or stud, it needs to have a metal 'cover' to protect it from being nailed into when the wood is covered. (I'm not sure what it's called but it has to be done.)
Consider buying yourself a GOOD DIY Electrical Book. Review the ones from Reader's Digest and Time/Life if you can. If you're doing a lot of renovating vs. new construction, see to it that the book you buy concentrates in renovation more than new construction, vs. the other way around. (Or just get both books.) You'll be spending saved money on a GOOD book.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
Running electric to finish off my Garage
3-Way Switch Cheating
knob and tube
Run conduit from service panel to ceiling joist area?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers