Running new circuit
I believe that older armoured cable used two wires (black/white)and the armour was the ground.So long as you ground your sheathed electrical cable you're all set.
[This message has been edited by Matches (edited October 26, 2001).]
I'm not clear if you're running the wire just along the ceiling, up a wall, or both. In any event though, be SURE you install the wire properly. Depending on the route you're taking and so on, there are 'protections' that should be incorporated into the project. For example, if you're running wire that needs to pass 'through' a notch in a joist or stud, it needs to have a metal 'cover' to protect it from being nailed into when the wood is covered. (I'm not sure what it's called but it has to be done.)
Consider buying yourself a GOOD DIY Electrical Book. Review the ones from Reader's Digest and Time/Life if you can. If you're doing a lot of renovating vs. new construction, see to it that the book you buy concentrates in renovation more than new construction, vs. the other way around. (Or just get both books.) You'll be spending saved money on a GOOD book.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
Running electric to finish off my Garage
3-Way Switch Cheating
knob and tube
Run conduit from service panel to ceiling joist area?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight