Running new circuit
I believe that older armoured cable used two wires (black/white)and the armour was the ground.So long as you ground your sheathed electrical cable you're all set.
[This message has been edited by Matches (edited October 26, 2001).]
I'm not clear if you're running the wire just along the ceiling, up a wall, or both. In any event though, be SURE you install the wire properly. Depending on the route you're taking and so on, there are 'protections' that should be incorporated into the project. For example, if you're running wire that needs to pass 'through' a notch in a joist or stud, it needs to have a metal 'cover' to protect it from being nailed into when the wood is covered. (I'm not sure what it's called but it has to be done.)
Consider buying yourself a GOOD DIY Electrical Book. Review the ones from Reader's Digest and Time/Life if you can. If you're doing a lot of renovating vs. new construction, see to it that the book you buy concentrates in renovation more than new construction, vs. the other way around. (Or just get both books.) You'll be spending saved money on a GOOD book.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
Running electric to finish off my Garage
3-Way Switch Cheating
knob and tube
Run conduit from service panel to ceiling joist area?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love