You will need either the [red and white] or the [black and white]. It depends which one (the black or the red) goes from the switch to the light fixture.
This assumes there is only one switch operating the fixture rather than two 3-way switches.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited November 05, 2001).]
If this is the case, attach both black wires to one of the dimmer switch wires, and the red to the other dimmer switch wire.
ONE MORE THING TO CHECK !! I'm not certain that all halogen lights can use the same dimmers as regular lights. Read the label that came with both the dimmer and the light fixture to verify that that light can work with the dimmer.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited November 07, 2001).]
"I followed the instructions and it's only two wires, what could possibly be wrong."
This is what could go wrong
I hope you're not putting that dimmer on the same line that supplies power to the fan motor as well.
The fan motor is not designed to use a lighting control re-o-sat (dimmer).
To safely accomplish this project this application would need three conductors going to the ceiling outlet
(red = dimmer and light / black = the fan speed control and fan motor / white = the common or ungrounded conductor or neutral)
Putting in a dimmer to control a fan motor will GREATLY reduce the life of the fan motor and could possibly overheat the dimmer switch causing a melt down and God knows what else.
To Retep - maybe you should verify this is what you did.
You're absolutely correct ..... looks like another one I misread .... I think I need a vacation.
Oh BTW- my email address is listed in my profile - just for future reference.
(I often wondered why none of the other "advice givers" have never posted their email address}
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs