I am wiring my basement to be finished. I am putting 10 recessed lights in the ceiling. Can I put them on a 20 amp breaker circuit with 12 gauge wire? I have 200 amp service.
First find the amperage that each light will use. Add the number of lamps and if the total is under 20 amps it will be ok. 12 Ga. wire should suffice. Remember, halogen bulbs **** alot more amperage than incandescent.
This setup is fine, actually a bit of overkill depending on what size lamps you use. 10-75 watt lamps at 120 volts will draw 6.25 amps. If you switch them all together on one dimmer you will need a 1000 watt rated dimmer. Also a 75 watt halogen or a 75 watt incandescent bulb at 120 volts will each draw .62 amps.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!