I am wiring my basement to be finished. I am putting 10 recessed lights in the ceiling. Can I put them on a 20 amp breaker circuit with 12 gauge wire? I have 200 amp service.
First find the amperage that each light will use. Add the number of lamps and if the total is under 20 amps it will be ok. 12 Ga. wire should suffice. Remember, halogen bulbs **** alot more amperage than incandescent.
This setup is fine, actually a bit of overkill depending on what size lamps you use. 10-75 watt lamps at 120 volts will draw 6.25 amps. If you switch them all together on one dimmer you will need a 1000 watt rated dimmer. Also a 75 watt halogen or a 75 watt incandescent bulb at 120 volts will each draw .62 amps.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight