I am wiring my basement to be finished. I am putting 10 recessed lights in the ceiling. Can I put them on a 20 amp breaker circuit with 12 gauge wire? I have 200 amp service.
First find the amperage that each light will use. Add the number of lamps and if the total is under 20 amps it will be ok. 12 Ga. wire should suffice. Remember, halogen bulbs **** alot more amperage than incandescent.
This setup is fine, actually a bit of overkill depending on what size lamps you use. 10-75 watt lamps at 120 volts will draw 6.25 amps. If you switch them all together on one dimmer you will need a 1000 watt rated dimmer. Also a 75 watt halogen or a 75 watt incandescent bulb at 120 volts will each draw .62 amps.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes