I am wiring my basement to be finished. I am putting 10 recessed lights in the ceiling. Can I put them on a 20 amp breaker circuit with 12 gauge wire? I have 200 amp service.
First find the amperage that each light will use. Add the number of lamps and if the total is under 20 amps it will be ok. 12 Ga. wire should suffice. Remember, halogen bulbs **** alot more amperage than incandescent.
This setup is fine, actually a bit of overkill depending on what size lamps you use. 10-75 watt lamps at 120 volts will draw 6.25 amps. If you switch them all together on one dimmer you will need a 1000 watt rated dimmer. Also a 75 watt halogen or a 75 watt incandescent bulb at 120 volts will each draw .62 amps.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects