Outlets per circuit
Electrical codes require an outlet every twelve feet, not as a guide to how many outlets you should have in a room, but so as to minimize the amount of exposed cord that runs in a room. Locating an outlet every twelve feet means that an appliance will not be more than 6 feet from an outlet at any spot along a wall.
As such, the number of outlets per circuit depend on the particular circumstance, not some general rule. A Kitchen can get six circuits that run to just one outlet (one for the dishwasher, one for the microwave, one for the garbage disposal, one for the range, and two for the outlets around the kitchen), whereas the rest of the house can survive on two or three other circuits. If you have large stereo equipment or lots of computer equipment, you might want to add a circuit or two for each one.
Thus, the rule is to roughly anticipate how much energy that you will use on each circuit, and plan accordingly. To just meet Code for outlets that you do not plan to use, you can use just one circuit for all of them.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!