I noticed while changing several switches in my house that some of the ground wires in the junction boxes are left quite long (12-18 inches) with their ends coiled up. The black and white wires are all cut to 6 inches or so. Why is this? Do I need to do this if I add an outlet in my unfinished basement?
NO!.....Ground your outlets, most light circuts are not grounded thats why the ground wire is just coiled up in the box.
Ok here is the correct answer. The ground wires in the switch boxes were most likely just coiled up because switches did not have ground terminals on them. They do now so you must connect the ground wires to the switch ground terminal. And when you add an outlet you must ground it as well.
You do not need to coil your wires. They probably did so to increase the chance that a short would hit the ground wire and return through the ground wire instead of electrifying the switch. As others said, you should just attach the ground wire to both the box (if it is metal) AND to the switch, itself. In short, the ground wires need not be coiled up, they can be trimmed to fit just like the other wires, and should be attached to the outlets or switches in the box just like the "other" wires.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers