help needed with switch installation please!
A single pole switch has two screw terminals. A 3 way switch has 3 screw terminals of which two are usually brass and a third which is usually black. The two brass screw terminals are called travellers and the black screw terminal is called the common terminal.
I highly recommend the Black & Decker book "Basic Wiring & Electrical Repairs" which gives detailed instructions on how to wire 3 way switches.
Hope this information helps and good luck with the repair.
The switch you replaced probably had a direct connection to the hot wire. There should be an extra wire in the box that you did not connect. That would be a traveller wire to the other switch. The traveller wires connect the two three-way switches so that the hot wire can always be turned on or off from either switch. It is an ingenius system that should have been named after the guy who figured it out.
Get the book, and read up on 3-way switches so you can diagnose which wires are which and do it right.
Need lots of Help. Ceiling Fan not working the way ...
Challenging electrical problem
Adding a Switch
4 Way Switch In A Series Help
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes