help needed with switch installation please!
A single pole switch has two screw terminals. A 3 way switch has 3 screw terminals of which two are usually brass and a third which is usually black. The two brass screw terminals are called travellers and the black screw terminal is called the common terminal.
I highly recommend the Black & Decker book "Basic Wiring & Electrical Repairs" which gives detailed instructions on how to wire 3 way switches.
Hope this information helps and good luck with the repair.
The switch you replaced probably had a direct connection to the hot wire. There should be an extra wire in the box that you did not connect. That would be a traveller wire to the other switch. The traveller wires connect the two three-way switches so that the hot wire can always be turned on or off from either switch. It is an ingenius system that should have been named after the guy who figured it out.
Get the book, and read up on 3-way switches so you can diagnose which wires are which and do it right.
Need lots of Help. Ceiling Fan not working the way ...
Challenging electrical problem
4 Way Switch In A Series Help
HELP! Two lights on one switch
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps