I'm considering getting an 21' round above ground pool....and installing it myself. I am handy but have back problems and the thought of digiging out all that turf grass like the manufacturer recommends and hauling all that sand in does not appeal to my discs. I have a pretty root free level lot and don't understand why I can't just lay the sand down over the grass. Wouldn't that and the pool liner over it effectively kill any grass or weeds there? any ideas.
The liner will certainly kill grass or weeds, but any irregularity under the liner or any particularly hard spots at all will make the liner more susceptable to wearing through and leaking. There could be small, sharp stones or sticks in the turf that you don't see.
My wife and I installed a 24' pool and it really was not too bad. I scraped the grass off and then I laid a thick layer of rock salt, Yes, rock salt, put another layer of sand a little more rock salt, a thick poly tarp and laid the ring, siding and then the liner. It only took two days plus one day to fill with water. That was our first and only pool and after two years it still sets fine. Just make very sure it is within 1" level.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!