I built a polebarn type building with a 2nd floor for storage. I need to run electric from my garage, which is less than 20 ft away, but about 50' of wire is needed to get into the building from the 60 amp garage sub panel. All I want at this time is 2 light sockets on 1 switch inside and an exterior light to light the stairs, with a 3-way switch (top or bottom of stairs), and 1 GFCI outlet inside the building.
Here is my question: Can I just run 12/2 with a ground from a 20 amp breaker in my garage sub-panel to the new building without a local circuit breaker in the new building? I can do the work, but am not familiar enough with NEC know if this is allowed.
The reason I am doing this so basic is that I plan to run a 100 amp line from my main house panel in about a year, but am required to have basic lighting and a receptical for my final inspection of the building, which I am almost ready for.
Thanks for any help
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes