I built a polebarn type building with a 2nd floor for storage. I need to run electric from my garage, which is less than 20 ft away, but about 50' of wire is needed to get into the building from the 60 amp garage sub panel. All I want at this time is 2 light sockets on 1 switch inside and an exterior light to light the stairs, with a 3-way switch (top or bottom of stairs), and 1 GFCI outlet inside the building.
Here is my question: Can I just run 12/2 with a ground from a 20 amp breaker in my garage sub-panel to the new building without a local circuit breaker in the new building? I can do the work, but am not familiar enough with NEC know if this is allowed.
The reason I am doing this so basic is that I plan to run a 100 amp line from my main house panel in about a year, but am required to have basic lighting and a receptical for my final inspection of the building, which I am almost ready for.
Thanks for any help
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love