I built a polebarn type building with a 2nd floor for storage. I need to run electric from my garage, which is less than 20 ft away, but about 50' of wire is needed to get into the building from the 60 amp garage sub panel. All I want at this time is 2 light sockets on 1 switch inside and an exterior light to light the stairs, with a 3-way switch (top or bottom of stairs), and 1 GFCI outlet inside the building.
Here is my question: Can I just run 12/2 with a ground from a 20 amp breaker in my garage sub-panel to the new building without a local circuit breaker in the new building? I can do the work, but am not familiar enough with NEC know if this is allowed.
The reason I am doing this so basic is that I plan to run a 100 amp line from my main house panel in about a year, but am required to have basic lighting and a receptical for my final inspection of the building, which I am almost ready for.
Thanks for any help
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 11 Homemade Sheds to Fill Your Storage Needs
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight