installing ceiling fixture
Well I read that NRHA page and find nothing that indicates a solution to Ovillesa's problem.........
What's the correct way to solve the Wire Temp Rating situation?...........
Does providing an accessible junction box before the ceiling box and new rated wiring from the junction box to the fixture constitute a code compliant/safe installation?
Ovillesa - If your house was built before the mid 80's, it probably has 60C wire in it. If you wish, you could climb into your attic and look at the outer jacket (assuming it is sheathed electrical cable) and read the temperature rating there. Also, you will most likely have this problem with any new light fixture you buy today. The insulation on the older wires just doesn't withstand the heat well enough from celing light fixtures. It is really amazing how hot it can be in a celing box when there is 120-200 Watts of light below it. Although changing a light fixture is a simple task, this may be a job for an electrician.
Doug - what you suggest will work fine. I myself have done that too, but the only problem I have had is sometimes one "throw away" box turns into two or three because of switch legs and feeds to other lights . . . .especially when there isn't enough existing wire there to work with
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!