Knob & Tube Wiring
Another drawback is that most installations had very few circuits & you may find that with all the modern gizmos you own, you could have some trouble tripping circuit brekers.
Since you have the money available, I'd recommend doing the replacement just so you'd have the peace of mind.
Also, I've heard that some insurance companies will not insure buildings with K&T wiring. I've had to jerk it out & replace it in a few homes in the area I live in.
Would you recommend nonmetallic sheathed typ NM-B cables "sheathed electrical cable", or Type AC, Armor Clad Cable, known as "BX" ?
I've never been a fan of Armored Cable, Metal Clad is more to my liking. I wouldn't even be able to guess how much money using AC or MC cable would add to the cost. If cost is not a prine consideration, MC would be my choice.
To the best of my knowledge, "sheathed electrical cable" has an excellant safety record when properly installed. Therefore, for most of us with limited resources, I'd have no second thoughts recommending sheathed electrical cable, provided that it meets local codes.
Knob & Tube wiring....
Installing a Ceiling Fan with Knob and Tube Wiring
Knob & Tube Wiring Questions
Knob & Tube Wiring and New Insulation
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs