Knob & Tube Wiring
Another drawback is that most installations had very few circuits & you may find that with all the modern gizmos you own, you could have some trouble tripping circuit brekers.
Since you have the money available, I'd recommend doing the replacement just so you'd have the peace of mind.
Also, I've heard that some insurance companies will not insure buildings with K&T wiring. I've had to jerk it out & replace it in a few homes in the area I live in.
Would you recommend nonmetallic sheathed typ NM-B cables "sheathed electrical cable", or Type AC, Armor Clad Cable, known as "BX" ?
I've never been a fan of Armored Cable, Metal Clad is more to my liking. I wouldn't even be able to guess how much money using AC or MC cable would add to the cost. If cost is not a prine consideration, MC would be my choice.
To the best of my knowledge, "sheathed electrical cable" has an excellant safety record when properly installed. Therefore, for most of us with limited resources, I'd have no second thoughts recommending sheathed electrical cable, provided that it meets local codes.
Knob & Tube wiring....
Installing a Ceiling Fan with Knob and Tube Wiring
Knob & Tube Wiring Questions
Knob & Tube Wiring and New Insulation
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them