Knob & Tube Wiring
Another drawback is that most installations had very few circuits & you may find that with all the modern gizmos you own, you could have some trouble tripping circuit brekers.
Since you have the money available, I'd recommend doing the replacement just so you'd have the peace of mind.
Also, I've heard that some insurance companies will not insure buildings with K&T wiring. I've had to jerk it out & replace it in a few homes in the area I live in.
Would you recommend nonmetallic sheathed typ NM-B cables "sheathed electrical cable", or Type AC, Armor Clad Cable, known as "BX" ?
I've never been a fan of Armored Cable, Metal Clad is more to my liking. I wouldn't even be able to guess how much money using AC or MC cable would add to the cost. If cost is not a prine consideration, MC would be my choice.
To the best of my knowledge, "sheathed electrical cable" has an excellant safety record when properly installed. Therefore, for most of us with limited resources, I'd have no second thoughts recommending sheathed electrical cable, provided that it meets local codes.
Knob & Tube wiring....
Installing a Ceiling Fan with Knob and Tube Wiring
Knob & Tube Wiring Questions
Knob & Tube Wiring and New Insulation
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!