8-3 w/ground UF
I wired my house for a hot tub using 8-3 w/ground UF wire (from a 60 amp GCFI sub-panel to a 4hp hot tub motor). The inspector told me even if I have the UF wire in a conduit I have to bury it 12 inches. I bought PVC conduit pipe - it can be on top of the ground so why does it have to be buried? What does the NEC state as the requirement for the 8-3 UF wire from the sub-panel to the tub?
Direct burial cables (Type UF for example), must be buried 24" and non-metallic raceways (PVC) must be buried at least 18".
Your inspector is letting you off easy, your cable is too small for the breaker you are using. #8 cables should only be protected at 50 amps.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!