8-3 w/ground UF
I wired my house for a hot tub using 8-3 w/ground UF wire (from a 60 amp GCFI sub-panel to a 4hp hot tub motor). The inspector told me even if I have the UF wire in a conduit I have to bury it 12 inches. I bought PVC conduit pipe - it can be on top of the ground so why does it have to be buried? What does the NEC state as the requirement for the 8-3 UF wire from the sub-panel to the tub?
Direct burial cables (Type UF for example), must be buried 24" and non-metallic raceways (PVC) must be buried at least 18".
Your inspector is letting you off easy, your cable is too small for the breaker you are using. #8 cables should only be protected at 50 amps.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips