What is the relationship between roofing and the weather?
There is sunny weather-flat roof-N. Mexico
There is rainy weather-sloped roof
There is snowy weather-pitched roof
There is more snowy weather-more of a pitch
There is even more snowy weather-Maine
The purpose of a roof is to keep the elements out of your living area. The roof is sloped or pitched to remove the elements in the best way possible. Snow exerts a great amount of dead load onto the structure of the roof. The snow load for a particular area is calculated and the pitch of the roof is derived from that. It is done to keep your roof from collapsing if the weight becomes greater than what the structure is designed for. So a contractor can cut costs by building a steeper roof and using less dimensional wood.
I realize this is a simplistic overview of roofs, but to delve any deeper would take you into engineering and I am sure you receive enough schooling. Good luck in your work and if you choose the building profession ....build them the correct way....
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight