What is the relationship between roofing and the weather?
There is sunny weather-flat roof-N. Mexico
There is rainy weather-sloped roof
There is snowy weather-pitched roof
There is more snowy weather-more of a pitch
There is even more snowy weather-Maine
The purpose of a roof is to keep the elements out of your living area. The roof is sloped or pitched to remove the elements in the best way possible. Snow exerts a great amount of dead load onto the structure of the roof. The snow load for a particular area is calculated and the pitch of the roof is derived from that. It is done to keep your roof from collapsing if the weight becomes greater than what the structure is designed for. So a contractor can cut costs by building a steeper roof and using less dimensional wood.
I realize this is a simplistic overview of roofs, but to delve any deeper would take you into engineering and I am sure you receive enough schooling. Good luck in your work and if you choose the building profession ....build them the correct way....
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!