What is the relationship between roofing and the weather?
There is sunny weather-flat roof-N. Mexico
There is rainy weather-sloped roof
There is snowy weather-pitched roof
There is more snowy weather-more of a pitch
There is even more snowy weather-Maine
The purpose of a roof is to keep the elements out of your living area. The roof is sloped or pitched to remove the elements in the best way possible. Snow exerts a great amount of dead load onto the structure of the roof. The snow load for a particular area is calculated and the pitch of the roof is derived from that. It is done to keep your roof from collapsing if the weight becomes greater than what the structure is designed for. So a contractor can cut costs by building a steeper roof and using less dimensional wood.
I realize this is a simplistic overview of roofs, but to delve any deeper would take you into engineering and I am sure you receive enough schooling. Good luck in your work and if you choose the building profession ....build them the correct way....
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes