I have a 23 year old home with the original asphalt shingles and it needs to be replaced. Can I re-roof over the old shingles? What are the pros and cons? Obviously it's easier. Are there any other things such as drip edges and the like that should be replaced at the same time?
You can definitely do an overlay re-roof if there is actually only one previous layer of shingles. Some cities let you have up to three layers but I wouldn't recommend it. Many layers equal too much load on your rafters and sheathing. My house had 4 layers of asphalt comp over 1 layer of ancient cedar shakes w/skip sheathing. You could hear the house take a deep breath once all of that garbage was removed. My method given only one current layer of asphalt comp. shingles would be to put down a fresh layer of 15# felt, use button-cap fasteners. Install new drip edge; pry out the old drip edge from under the existing shinles (unless you don't mind raised edges from 2 layers of edging). You shouldn't have to worry about replacing the valley flashing unless you have woven valleys (which (editorial comment) I think look like hell). Follow the directions on your shingles of choice closely. I am not a roofer but have done my share so other opinions wouldn't hurt. I always consult a professional or plenty of literature before I attempt any job I haven't done before that may cost me more money later if I do it wrong. If you don't know any roofers to talk to just hit your local tavern about noon on a rainy day.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!