I have a 23 year old home with the original asphalt shingles and it needs to be replaced. Can I re-roof over the old shingles? What are the pros and cons? Obviously it's easier. Are there any other things such as drip edges and the like that should be replaced at the same time?
You can definitely do an overlay re-roof if there is actually only one previous layer of shingles. Some cities let you have up to three layers but I wouldn't recommend it. Many layers equal too much load on your rafters and sheathing. My house had 4 layers of asphalt comp over 1 layer of ancient cedar shakes w/skip sheathing. You could hear the house take a deep breath once all of that garbage was removed. My method given only one current layer of asphalt comp. shingles would be to put down a fresh layer of 15# felt, use button-cap fasteners. Install new drip edge; pry out the old drip edge from under the existing shinles (unless you don't mind raised edges from 2 layers of edging). You shouldn't have to worry about replacing the valley flashing unless you have woven valleys (which (editorial comment) I think look like hell). Follow the directions on your shingles of choice closely. I am not a roofer but have done my share so other opinions wouldn't hurt. I always consult a professional or plenty of literature before I attempt any job I haven't done before that may cost me more money later if I do it wrong. If you don't know any roofers to talk to just hit your local tavern about noon on a rainy day.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!