Why not one, large GFCI?
You cannot go to a higher trip level. That level was selected to protect life & a higher value would not do the job.
GFCI outlets- you can buy 5 or 6 of them for the cost of one GFCI breaker. Also, it is much more convenient to have them near the point of use so you can reset them and, more importantly, test them once a month.
There are pro's and con's ( we have discussed it) , yet overall i must tip my hat to the safer method there....
as 210.12 grows to a more 'encompasing' requirement ,i believe comparissons to European standards will be more prevalant
If your whole house goes "dead" all at once, you wouldn't know if it's the whole-house GFCI or a transformer down the road that went out.
If the problem is persistent, or takes time to find, you would still want to have your HVAC, etc. working.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited November 25, 2002).]
As some have mentioned, there are some circuts that are dedicated like the refer and furnace.
If you go on a vacation and your power trips, you could come home to a real disaster!(spoiled food and frozen pipes)
I educated one builder on the benifits of GFI outlets in the rooms that needed them by trip testing every outlet while he ran up and down the stairs to reset the breakers.
The next house he built had them in the rooms!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!