Why not one, large GFCI?
You cannot go to a higher trip level. That level was selected to protect life & a higher value would not do the job.
GFCI outlets- you can buy 5 or 6 of them for the cost of one GFCI breaker. Also, it is much more convenient to have them near the point of use so you can reset them and, more importantly, test them once a month.
There are pro's and con's ( we have discussed it) , yet overall i must tip my hat to the safer method there....
as 210.12 grows to a more 'encompasing' requirement ,i believe comparissons to European standards will be more prevalant
If your whole house goes "dead" all at once, you wouldn't know if it's the whole-house GFCI or a transformer down the road that went out.
If the problem is persistent, or takes time to find, you would still want to have your HVAC, etc. working.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited November 25, 2002).]
As some have mentioned, there are some circuts that are dedicated like the refer and furnace.
If you go on a vacation and your power trips, you could come home to a real disaster!(spoiled food and frozen pipes)
I educated one builder on the benifits of GFI outlets in the rooms that needed them by trip testing every outlet while he ran up and down the stairs to reset the breakers.
The next house he built had them in the rooms!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects