Why not one, large GFCI?
You cannot go to a higher trip level. That level was selected to protect life & a higher value would not do the job.
GFCI outlets- you can buy 5 or 6 of them for the cost of one GFCI breaker. Also, it is much more convenient to have them near the point of use so you can reset them and, more importantly, test them once a month.
There are pro's and con's ( we have discussed it) , yet overall i must tip my hat to the safer method there....
as 210.12 grows to a more 'encompasing' requirement ,i believe comparissons to European standards will be more prevalant
If your whole house goes "dead" all at once, you wouldn't know if it's the whole-house GFCI or a transformer down the road that went out.
If the problem is persistent, or takes time to find, you would still want to have your HVAC, etc. working.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited November 25, 2002).]
As some have mentioned, there are some circuts that are dedicated like the refer and furnace.
If you go on a vacation and your power trips, you could come home to a real disaster!(spoiled food and frozen pipes)
I educated one builder on the benifits of GFI outlets in the rooms that needed them by trip testing every outlet while he ran up and down the stairs to reset the breakers.
The next house he built had them in the rooms!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- 11 DIYs for A Soundproofed Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates