In an acronym "PVC". Also, you still have to use the metal water line if it extends at least 10 feet underground.
The minimum length of a ground rod is 8 feet. This accounts for the majority of rods sold.
Rod & pipe electrodes are required to have at least 8 feet in contact with the soil. Therefore, the rod, at the very least, must be driven flush with grade and any 8 foot rod that protrudes above grade is not in compliance with the NEC.
If the connection is above grade, the rod must be longer that 8 feet.
Damage means what it says, in many instances from a lawnmower.
Protection- Sleeve it with Schedule 80 pvc pipe or IMC or RMC. Other methods may be fine, but it would be up to the AHJ.
Never heard of any concerns dealing with freeze & thaw as regards ground rod conections.
Keep in mind that if this is a ground rod sticking up, chances are it is already a violation. Concerns about damage can be alleviated by pounding the rod flush or below grade.
You seem to be interested in grounding. "Soares Book On Grounding" is highly regarded in the trade. Plenty of diagrams & pictures. Well worth the $$$.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- How to Refinish a Dresser
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY