In an acronym "PVC". Also, you still have to use the metal water line if it extends at least 10 feet underground.
The minimum length of a ground rod is 8 feet. This accounts for the majority of rods sold.
Rod & pipe electrodes are required to have at least 8 feet in contact with the soil. Therefore, the rod, at the very least, must be driven flush with grade and any 8 foot rod that protrudes above grade is not in compliance with the NEC.
If the connection is above grade, the rod must be longer that 8 feet.
Damage means what it says, in many instances from a lawnmower.
Protection- Sleeve it with Schedule 80 pvc pipe or IMC or RMC. Other methods may be fine, but it would be up to the AHJ.
Never heard of any concerns dealing with freeze & thaw as regards ground rod conections.
Keep in mind that if this is a ground rod sticking up, chances are it is already a violation. Concerns about damage can be alleviated by pounding the rod flush or below grade.
You seem to be interested in grounding. "Soares Book On Grounding" is highly regarded in the trade. Plenty of diagrams & pictures. Well worth the $$$.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees