In an acronym "PVC". Also, you still have to use the metal water line if it extends at least 10 feet underground.
The minimum length of a ground rod is 8 feet. This accounts for the majority of rods sold.
Rod & pipe electrodes are required to have at least 8 feet in contact with the soil. Therefore, the rod, at the very least, must be driven flush with grade and any 8 foot rod that protrudes above grade is not in compliance with the NEC.
If the connection is above grade, the rod must be longer that 8 feet.
Damage means what it says, in many instances from a lawnmower.
Protection- Sleeve it with Schedule 80 pvc pipe or IMC or RMC. Other methods may be fine, but it would be up to the AHJ.
Never heard of any concerns dealing with freeze & thaw as regards ground rod conections.
Keep in mind that if this is a ground rod sticking up, chances are it is already a violation. Concerns about damage can be alleviated by pounding the rod flush or below grade.
You seem to be interested in grounding. "Soares Book On Grounding" is highly regarded in the trade. Plenty of diagrams & pictures. Well worth the $$$.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- 11 DIYs for A Soundproofed Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates