In an acronym "PVC". Also, you still have to use the metal water line if it extends at least 10 feet underground.
The minimum length of a ground rod is 8 feet. This accounts for the majority of rods sold.
Rod & pipe electrodes are required to have at least 8 feet in contact with the soil. Therefore, the rod, at the very least, must be driven flush with grade and any 8 foot rod that protrudes above grade is not in compliance with the NEC.
If the connection is above grade, the rod must be longer that 8 feet.
Damage means what it says, in many instances from a lawnmower.
Protection- Sleeve it with Schedule 80 pvc pipe or IMC or RMC. Other methods may be fine, but it would be up to the AHJ.
Never heard of any concerns dealing with freeze & thaw as regards ground rod conections.
Keep in mind that if this is a ground rod sticking up, chances are it is already a violation. Concerns about damage can be alleviated by pounding the rod flush or below grade.
You seem to be interested in grounding. "Soares Book On Grounding" is highly regarded in the trade. Plenty of diagrams & pictures. Well worth the $$$.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes