In an acronym "PVC". Also, you still have to use the metal water line if it extends at least 10 feet underground.
The minimum length of a ground rod is 8 feet. This accounts for the majority of rods sold.
Rod & pipe electrodes are required to have at least 8 feet in contact with the soil. Therefore, the rod, at the very least, must be driven flush with grade and any 8 foot rod that protrudes above grade is not in compliance with the NEC.
Exhibit 250.9 seems to indicate a connection made above ground level.
The comment in section 250.53(G)says "Ground clamps installed above ground must be protected where subject to physical damage." In this case, the electrode itself must be longer than 8 ft.?
What kind of protection and damage? Any examples?
If the connection is above grade, the rod must be longer that 8 feet.
Damage means what it says, in many instances from a lawnmower.
Protection- Sleeve it with Schedule 80 pvc pipe or IMC or RMC. Other methods may be fine, but it would be up to the AHJ.
Is there any concern about "damage" due to weather (ie. freezing/thawing cycles) degrading the clamp connection over years?
Never heard of any concerns dealing with freeze & thaw as regards ground rod conections.
Keep in mind that if this is a ground rod sticking up, chances are it is already a violation. Concerns about damage can be alleviated by pounding the rod flush or below grade.
You seem to be interested in grounding. "Soares Book On Grounding" is highly regarded in the trade. Plenty of diagrams & pictures. Well worth the $$$.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight