I just moved into an apartment that has "hotel style" wall-unit heater/ac combo. It works fine and has a hotter/colder, but no thermostat. This means that it will either be on or off all night. The electric line feeding these units are in metal sheaths and are exposed to the room. How difficult/safe would it be to have a thermostat wired into this line, to keep the heater technically "on", and use the thermostat to gate whether the unit gets juice or not?
Ask the landlord to hire an electrician. Also usually this type of control is a thermostat without the actual temperature settings and should not stay on all the time.
Thanks for your reply. I've contacted the landlord with my suggestion and assumed an electrician would handle the job, but he's hesitant because he's under no obligation to make such changes and assumes they will be costly. I was just sort of trying to figure out if such a wiring job was easy/inexpensive or rather involved (so that I could provide some info to "grease the skids". The existing controls operate much like that in a car: you can set the temperature of the air coming out by manipulating a dial, but the air will only stop if you turn the fan completely off.
Kennmore Dryer Overheats
Water heater frustration!!!
What would cause a new hot water heater to not perfo...
Kenmore Electric dryer not heating
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda