If you were to add a second line to your house, the installer would probably check and see if you were going to run the second line to every room or just to one of the rooms (like a computer room). I've seen installers use the yellow & black wires to run that second line in, instead of running a separate, new line. They just have to make sure the wall jack is wired properly.
I hope this helps you some. Happy Holidays!
Jim D/Heathsville, VA
That sounds like an old Telephone Circuit Protector.
It is or WAS the telephone companies.
I don't know the teleco's policies are on this, but it should be removed.
And a Demarc should have been installed. That is the point where the Teleco lines end and your wires start.
Also called an NIC (network interface connection) or SNI (system network interface).
There are several different styles. But this is typical. They have a part where the teleco make connections and a customer side with a test jack.
When you unplug the jumper it disconnects the house wiring. Then you can plug is a telephone.
If it works OK there then the teleco lines are OK and the problem is inside.
If you don't have one of these then get them back and have them install one and remove the old protector.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them