If you were to add a second line to your house, the installer would probably check and see if you were going to run the second line to every room or just to one of the rooms (like a computer room). I've seen installers use the yellow & black wires to run that second line in, instead of running a separate, new line. They just have to make sure the wall jack is wired properly.
I hope this helps you some. Happy Holidays!
Jim D/Heathsville, VA
That sounds like an old Telephone Circuit Protector.
It is or WAS the telephone companies.
I don't know the teleco's policies are on this, but it should be removed.
And a Demarc should have been installed. That is the point where the Teleco lines end and your wires start.
Also called an NIC (network interface connection) or SNI (system network interface).
There are several different styles. But this is typical. They have a part where the teleco make connections and a customer side with a test jack.
When you unplug the jumper it disconnects the house wiring. Then you can plug is a telephone.
If it works OK there then the teleco lines are OK and the problem is inside.
If you don't have one of these then get them back and have them install one and remove the old protector.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY