If you were to add a second line to your house, the installer would probably check and see if you were going to run the second line to every room or just to one of the rooms (like a computer room). I've seen installers use the yellow & black wires to run that second line in, instead of running a separate, new line. They just have to make sure the wall jack is wired properly.
I hope this helps you some. Happy Holidays!
Jim D/Heathsville, VA
That sounds like an old Telephone Circuit Protector.
It is or WAS the telephone companies.
I don't know the teleco's policies are on this, but it should be removed.
And a Demarc should have been installed. That is the point where the Teleco lines end and your wires start.
Also called an NIC (network interface connection) or SNI (system network interface).
There are several different styles. But this is typical. They have a part where the teleco make connections and a customer side with a test jack.
When you unplug the jumper it disconnects the house wiring. Then you can plug is a telephone.
If it works OK there then the teleco lines are OK and the problem is inside.
If you don't have one of these then get them back and have them install one and remove the old protector.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love