If you were to add a second line to your house, the installer would probably check and see if you were going to run the second line to every room or just to one of the rooms (like a computer room). I've seen installers use the yellow & black wires to run that second line in, instead of running a separate, new line. They just have to make sure the wall jack is wired properly.
I hope this helps you some. Happy Holidays!
Jim D/Heathsville, VA
That sounds like an old Telephone Circuit Protector.
It is or WAS the telephone companies.
I don't know the teleco's policies are on this, but it should be removed.
And a Demarc should have been installed. That is the point where the Teleco lines end and your wires start.
Also called an NIC (network interface connection) or SNI (system network interface).
There are several different styles. But this is typical. They have a part where the teleco make connections and a customer side with a test jack.
When you unplug the jumper it disconnects the house wiring. Then you can plug is a telephone.
If it works OK there then the teleco lines are OK and the problem is inside.
If you don't have one of these then get them back and have them install one and remove the old protector.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Mirror Magic: 10 Ways of Using Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- 7 Powerful Cleaners in Your Pantry
- 10 DIY Ways to Dress Up Your House for Fall
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs