can you mix wire gauge?
Even though it's harder to work with, you did a good thing running 12 AWG. More options, better ability to upgrade in the future.
Just last week I started a systematic walk-through of the wiring in the house I just bought (1916 Queen Anne). I've already pulled new wire through 85% of it, and this time I started pigtailing with 14G on circuits that I know will never be greater than 15A (lighting, etc.). Now I'm tempted to change my plan and revert to 12G pigtailing just to be absolutely consistent.
I've read that careful wire placement (folding and pushing) with linesman's pliers is a common technique to get the wires stored properly, and this seems to work well. Still, when you are wiring a fixture you can still be stuck coaxing the spliced wires back up into the box and around the center mounting strap.
Personally, I'm interested in the common practice in the field. Is it better to keep a 12G run "pure" the whole way? Is pigtailing with 14G (to 12G) on a 15A circuit a common technique? Any comments on the pros/cons would help.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- How to Make Concrete Letters
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps