My circuit runs seven light fixtures. 14/2 runs from the box to the first light - then three wire to the remaining lights - then two wire to the switch. I'm trying to add six lights to the middle of this run. I've already connected the six lights together with two wire. When I tried to put power to them in the middle of the three wire run, I can't get them to work correctly. Can I connect the lights to the middle of the three wire run? In short, can you mix two wire and three wire in a run.
The reason they used three wire is because they needed three wires. You will need to use the same. One of the wires is carrying power all the way trough to the switch, the white is the neutral wire. and the other wire is the wire from the switch to power the lights. If this is not understandable to you it is time to get an electrician.
You should be able to take the 2 wire and connect it to any of the lights and have the new lights work fine. The new lights should all be connected black to black and white to white. The 2 wire cable coming into one of the existing lights should be connected white to white and black to the wire going to the light black. It might be the red one.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Weekend Projects: DIY Thanksgiving Decor
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Forgiving Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- Bob Vila's Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- 10 Quick Fixes for a More Refreshing Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!