My circuit runs seven light fixtures. 14/2 runs from the box to the first light - then three wire to the remaining lights - then two wire to the switch. I'm trying to add six lights to the middle of this run. I've already connected the six lights together with two wire. When I tried to put power to them in the middle of the three wire run, I can't get them to work correctly. Can I connect the lights to the middle of the three wire run? In short, can you mix two wire and three wire in a run.
The reason they used three wire is because they needed three wires. You will need to use the same. One of the wires is carrying power all the way trough to the switch, the white is the neutral wire. and the other wire is the wire from the switch to power the lights. If this is not understandable to you it is time to get an electrician.
You should be able to take the 2 wire and connect it to any of the lights and have the new lights work fine. The new lights should all be connected black to black and white to white. The 2 wire cable coming into one of the existing lights should be connected white to white and black to the wire going to the light black. It might be the red one.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers