My circuit runs seven light fixtures. 14/2 runs from the box to the first light - then three wire to the remaining lights - then two wire to the switch. I'm trying to add six lights to the middle of this run. I've already connected the six lights together with two wire. When I tried to put power to them in the middle of the three wire run, I can't get them to work correctly. Can I connect the lights to the middle of the three wire run? In short, can you mix two wire and three wire in a run.
The reason they used three wire is because they needed three wires. You will need to use the same. One of the wires is carrying power all the way trough to the switch, the white is the neutral wire. and the other wire is the wire from the switch to power the lights. If this is not understandable to you it is time to get an electrician.
You should be able to take the 2 wire and connect it to any of the lights and have the new lights work fine. The new lights should all be connected black to black and white to white. The 2 wire cable coming into one of the existing lights should be connected white to white and black to the wire going to the light black. It might be the red one.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!