My circuit runs seven light fixtures. 14/2 runs from the box to the first light - then three wire to the remaining lights - then two wire to the switch. I'm trying to add six lights to the middle of this run. I've already connected the six lights together with two wire. When I tried to put power to them in the middle of the three wire run, I can't get them to work correctly. Can I connect the lights to the middle of the three wire run? In short, can you mix two wire and three wire in a run.
The reason they used three wire is because they needed three wires. You will need to use the same. One of the wires is carrying power all the way trough to the switch, the white is the neutral wire. and the other wire is the wire from the switch to power the lights. If this is not understandable to you it is time to get an electrician.
You should be able to take the 2 wire and connect it to any of the lights and have the new lights work fine. The new lights should all be connected black to black and white to white. The 2 wire cable coming into one of the existing lights should be connected white to white and black to the wire going to the light black. It might be the red one.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight