smooth wire to black, ribbed to white??
Smooth = hot (live) - goes to NARROW pin on polarized plug.
Ribbed = neutral - goes to WIDE pin on polarized plug.
What sort of fixture are you hanging that you're using zip cord? Is it one of those chandeliers or swag lamps? Those are the only two types of luminaires that use zip cord (running alongside a chain) to connect to the mains.
All of the flush-mount fixtures I've seen use separate black and white high-temperature "pigtail" wires for connections to the conductors in the box, NEVER zip cord. Zip cord is not rated for that sort of application and will degrade from the heat put out by the bulbs!!
Be careful and consult a licenced electrician if you are in over your head!!!
402.8 Grounded Conductor Identification.
One conductor of fixture wires that is intended to be used as a grounded conductor shall be identified by means of stripes or by the means described in 400.22(A) through (E).
400.22 Grounded-Conductor Identification.
One conductor of flexible cords that is intended to be used as a grounded circuit conductor shall have a continuous marker that readily distinguishes it from the other conductor or conductors.
The identification shall consist of one of the methods indicated in 400.22(A) through (F).
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight