Black 12 awg
white 12 awg
ground 14 awg
14 gauge ground wire
The installers evidently forgot that although they were doing more than required, they must still comply with all the rules, in this case, the equipment ground must be #12.( presuming that the #12 wire is connected to a 20 amp breaker, if it is connected to a 15 amp breaker, all is well).
There is some danger to this installation, but I can think of a lot of other things that are more hazardous. However, it is always best to be in complete compliance with the NEC, so I'd advise having this problem corrected.
This practice is no longer allowed. New work is required to follow new rules, so you only need to replace it when it is otherwise necessary in the course of remodeling, maintenance, etc.
I've been rewiring my old house for about 6 months now (off and on), and I run 12G wire on 15A circuits and add a 14G bonding wire if I have any concern about the mechanical connection. Is this the same issue?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!