Black 12 awg
white 12 awg
ground 14 awg
14 gauge ground wire
The installers evidently forgot that although they were doing more than required, they must still comply with all the rules, in this case, the equipment ground must be #12.( presuming that the #12 wire is connected to a 20 amp breaker, if it is connected to a 15 amp breaker, all is well).
There is some danger to this installation, but I can think of a lot of other things that are more hazardous. However, it is always best to be in complete compliance with the NEC, so I'd advise having this problem corrected.
This practice is no longer allowed. New work is required to follow new rules, so you only need to replace it when it is otherwise necessary in the course of remodeling, maintenance, etc.
I've been rewiring my old house for about 6 months now (off and on), and I run 12G wire on 15A circuits and add a 14G bonding wire if I have any concern about the mechanical connection. Is this the same issue?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!