Black 12 awg
white 12 awg
ground 14 awg
14 gauge ground wire
The installers evidently forgot that although they were doing more than required, they must still comply with all the rules, in this case, the equipment ground must be #12.( presuming that the #12 wire is connected to a 20 amp breaker, if it is connected to a 15 amp breaker, all is well).
There is some danger to this installation, but I can think of a lot of other things that are more hazardous. However, it is always best to be in complete compliance with the NEC, so I'd advise having this problem corrected.
This practice is no longer allowed. New work is required to follow new rules, so you only need to replace it when it is otherwise necessary in the course of remodeling, maintenance, etc.
I've been rewiring my old house for about 6 months now (off and on), and I run 12G wire on 15A circuits and add a 14G bonding wire if I have any concern about the mechanical connection. Is this the same issue?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes