Bonding supplemental ground
I replaced all the galvanized pipe with copper, and at that time I rerouted the water line ground (then only a few feet away from the panel) and bonded it to pipe on the street side of the water meter.
I have an older meter (aluminum wires from the street, copper service entry to the panel) with no grounding lugs. Given this situation, is it wrong to run a supplemental ground from the neutral bus through conduit and out to a ground rod?
[This message has been edited by gtillotson (edited April 14, 2003).]
Was it inspected at the time of the panel swap?
They will be no harm in supplemental grounds but having an untrained person running ground wires into a live main panel is cause for concern.
Consider the following work (I have a Square-D panel with a big bonding bolt, which was screwed down tight when the panel was installed): I pound in a ground rod and run conduit from the panel out the back of the house and down to a copper strap with an acorn nut. I then shut off the main and run a 6G solid bare ground wire (for 100A service) from the acorn nut to the neutral bus. I turn the main back on.
If there are dangers here that I don't know about, let me know and I will back off. If, however, the connection process is similar to adding a new circuit, then I have the skill. I've overhauled the old wiring and distributed the load from 6 breakers to 14 over the past year.
[This message has been edited by gtillotson (edited April 15, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes