Bonding supplemental ground
I replaced all the galvanized pipe with copper, and at that time I rerouted the water line ground (then only a few feet away from the panel) and bonded it to pipe on the street side of the water meter.
I have an older meter (aluminum wires from the street, copper service entry to the panel) with no grounding lugs. Given this situation, is it wrong to run a supplemental ground from the neutral bus through conduit and out to a ground rod?
[This message has been edited by gtillotson (edited April 14, 2003).]
Was it inspected at the time of the panel swap?
They will be no harm in supplemental grounds but having an untrained person running ground wires into a live main panel is cause for concern.
Consider the following work (I have a Square-D panel with a big bonding bolt, which was screwed down tight when the panel was installed): I pound in a ground rod and run conduit from the panel out the back of the house and down to a copper strap with an acorn nut. I then shut off the main and run a 6G solid bare ground wire (for 100A service) from the acorn nut to the neutral bus. I turn the main back on.
If there are dangers here that I don't know about, let me know and I will back off. If, however, the connection process is similar to adding a new circuit, then I have the skill. I've overhauled the old wiring and distributed the load from 6 breakers to 14 over the past year.
[This message has been edited by gtillotson (edited April 15, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects