How can change my homes amperage from 100 to 200?
First, this is a job for a professional. An electrician can come in and install a new sub-panel. It will/may also require new lines from the pole to your house. This is something we are looking at doing as well. The cost in the Northeast is somewhere around $1,500 depending on several factors. Good luck.
Consider going higher. I had mine done years ago (don't remember the cost) from 100 to 200, and wish now that I'd gone higher. Don't know about the cost ramifications of going higher, but I'm noticing the sum of all my breakers nearing or exceeding (don't remember which) the limit of the main breaker. Am remodeling a kitchen, and it seems that I need several separate circuits to do things right. And, in most areas, unless it's just a few lights, you'll want to go to 20 amps and 12 ga wire, so it's an issue. They add up fast.
Thanks allot for the advise. I already called an electrician and looking at doing it this weekend. Thank you
The sum of all breakers often excede the the value of the main breaker. That is not valid reason for upgrading. You need to do a proper load calculation.
Ted your house must be HUGE if 200 amps is not enough. As joe said the sum of the breakers does not determine the amperage needed.
Not really, I'm just one of those folks that would build a 6 lane bridge to cross a stream. Thanks for straightening me out, guys.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!