How can change my homes amperage from 100 to 200?
First, this is a job for a professional. An electrician can come in and install a new sub-panel. It will/may also require new lines from the pole to your house. This is something we are looking at doing as well. The cost in the Northeast is somewhere around $1,500 depending on several factors. Good luck.
Consider going higher. I had mine done years ago (don't remember the cost) from 100 to 200, and wish now that I'd gone higher. Don't know about the cost ramifications of going higher, but I'm noticing the sum of all my breakers nearing or exceeding (don't remember which) the limit of the main breaker. Am remodeling a kitchen, and it seems that I need several separate circuits to do things right. And, in most areas, unless it's just a few lights, you'll want to go to 20 amps and 12 ga wire, so it's an issue. They add up fast.
Thanks allot for the advise. I already called an electrician and looking at doing it this weekend. Thank you
The sum of all breakers often excede the the value of the main breaker. That is not valid reason for upgrading. You need to do a proper load calculation.
Ted your house must be HUGE if 200 amps is not enough. As joe said the sum of the breakers does not determine the amperage needed.
Not really, I'm just one of those folks that would build a 6 lane bridge to cross a stream. Thanks for straightening me out, guys.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes