How can change my homes amperage from 100 to 200?
First, this is a job for a professional. An electrician can come in and install a new sub-panel. It will/may also require new lines from the pole to your house. This is something we are looking at doing as well. The cost in the Northeast is somewhere around $1,500 depending on several factors. Good luck.
Consider going higher. I had mine done years ago (don't remember the cost) from 100 to 200, and wish now that I'd gone higher. Don't know about the cost ramifications of going higher, but I'm noticing the sum of all my breakers nearing or exceeding (don't remember which) the limit of the main breaker. Am remodeling a kitchen, and it seems that I need several separate circuits to do things right. And, in most areas, unless it's just a few lights, you'll want to go to 20 amps and 12 ga wire, so it's an issue. They add up fast.
Thanks allot for the advise. I already called an electrician and looking at doing it this weekend. Thank you
The sum of all breakers often excede the the value of the main breaker. That is not valid reason for upgrading. You need to do a proper load calculation.
Ted your house must be HUGE if 200 amps is not enough. As joe said the sum of the breakers does not determine the amperage needed.
Not really, I'm just one of those folks that would build a 6 lane bridge to cross a stream. Thanks for straightening me out, guys.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees