Polling electrical wiring expert !!!
If so....was your original wiring knob and tube? (Different type of hole and clamp in your original box)....also different method of pulling new wiring.
Run a steel snake up through the hole in the box...you should be able to work this through the insulation.
Small hole in the ceiling joist (original hole for conductors)? Get up in the attic and cut the hole large...maybe 2 holes next to each other and chisel out the wood between the holes thus giving you some 'working space' to get that snake up through the joist and into the attic. It is almost mandatory to have a buddy up in the attic with a flashlight to give you feedback when working the snake and also working at getting the snake through the hole.
The easiest way to do this is to use a remodel type box and cut the hole to fit the box first (Don't cut where a stud is). Then drill a hole in the attic (be careful not to come outside the wall) and push the wire down to the hole (You may have to push a stiff rod or fish tape down first). Then install the box and switch
For those who are not afraid of adding their email addresses, please join my NEC Discussion Forum at www.joetedesco.com
OK, let's take this discussion a little further and identify the AWG size, box fill rules, the clamping to the box, type of box, termination of the EGC on the device, and compliance with the new rules for re-identification of the white wire if a 2wire/with ground was used, then grounding of metal cover plates, etc...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!