Polling electrical wiring expert !!!
If so....was your original wiring knob and tube? (Different type of hole and clamp in your original box)....also different method of pulling new wiring.
Run a steel snake up through the hole in the box...you should be able to work this through the insulation.
Small hole in the ceiling joist (original hole for conductors)? Get up in the attic and cut the hole large...maybe 2 holes next to each other and chisel out the wood between the holes thus giving you some 'working space' to get that snake up through the joist and into the attic. It is almost mandatory to have a buddy up in the attic with a flashlight to give you feedback when working the snake and also working at getting the snake through the hole.
The easiest way to do this is to use a remodel type box and cut the hole to fit the box first (Don't cut where a stud is). Then drill a hole in the attic (be careful not to come outside the wall) and push the wire down to the hole (You may have to push a stiff rod or fish tape down first). Then install the box and switch
For those who are not afraid of adding their email addresses, please join my NEC Discussion Forum at www.joetedesco.com
OK, let's take this discussion a little further and identify the AWG size, box fill rules, the clamping to the box, type of box, termination of the EGC on the device, and compliance with the new rules for re-identification of the white wire if a 2wire/with ground was used, then grounding of metal cover plates, etc...
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING