I have a 2 ton Magic Chef Unit for the upstairs room in my house. There are two separate 20A breakers in the panel outside and one of them continues to trip, although with no specific rhyme or reason. Question is does this mean that this one breaker is bad, the compressor is struggling or my breaker is too small to handle the load?
The two 20A breakers are not tied together and when the one trips, the fan continues running.
Chances are you have the wrong 'kind' of breaker. Breakers rated for heating &/or A/C loads are categorized as "HACR" breakers. When your A/C turns on there is an 'inrush' of power to start the motor ...this will sometimes trip a regular breaker. Your A/C unit should give some pertinent information on its 'nameplate' as to the type and size of breaker to use for the unit.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING