I have an ice dam problem on my slow pitched roof and wanted some feedback. Since it is winter and I can't get a new roof until it gets warmer I need a good bandaid. Could I wait until the current snow melts on the roof and then lay a sheet of thick plastic on my current roof to eliminate further ice dams? I was thinking I could put the top edge of the pastic carefully under a high row of shingles and tack the whole piece of plastic around the edges sealing the nails with silicone. I know it's a temporary fix, but it would stop the water from seeping in.
ONE THING THAT I WOULD DO IS TO CHECK AND MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE ADEQUATE INSULATION IN YOUR ATTIC AND THAT IT GOES TO THE EDGE OF THE ROOF WITHOUT BLOCKING THE AIR FLOW TO YOUR SOFFIT VENTS. ANOTHER THING TO CHECK IS TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE ADEQUATE VENTILATION IN THE ATTIC. IF YOU DO, CHECK OUT YOUR SOFFIT AND ROOF VENTS AND MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARE NOT CLOGGED WITH DUST, ETC. THE SCREEN THAT THEY HAVE ON THESE VENTS COLLECT QUITE A BIT OF JUNK. IF THEY ARE CLOGGED, YOU SHOULD REPLACE THEM.
Very good advice above, never use silicone on asphalt or fiberglass shingles, silicone will damage the shingles, I have seen silicone eat a hole clear through a shingle.
Hi, the information to check and correct your insulation is valid. Although, much new construction with hips and valleys prevent you from insulating these areas. Heat also leaks up through light fixtures and vent pipes. Heat tape could help but had marginal results. There is a heated shingle new to the market . www.hotshingle.com Hope this is helpful.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight