I have an ice dam problem on my slow pitched roof and wanted some feedback. Since it is winter and I can't get a new roof until it gets warmer I need a good bandaid. Could I wait until the current snow melts on the roof and then lay a sheet of thick plastic on my current roof to eliminate further ice dams? I was thinking I could put the top edge of the pastic carefully under a high row of shingles and tack the whole piece of plastic around the edges sealing the nails with silicone. I know it's a temporary fix, but it would stop the water from seeping in.
ONE THING THAT I WOULD DO IS TO CHECK AND MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE ADEQUATE INSULATION IN YOUR ATTIC AND THAT IT GOES TO THE EDGE OF THE ROOF WITHOUT BLOCKING THE AIR FLOW TO YOUR SOFFIT VENTS. ANOTHER THING TO CHECK IS TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE ADEQUATE VENTILATION IN THE ATTIC. IF YOU DO, CHECK OUT YOUR SOFFIT AND ROOF VENTS AND MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARE NOT CLOGGED WITH DUST, ETC. THE SCREEN THAT THEY HAVE ON THESE VENTS COLLECT QUITE A BIT OF JUNK. IF THEY ARE CLOGGED, YOU SHOULD REPLACE THEM.
Very good advice above, never use silicone on asphalt or fiberglass shingles, silicone will damage the shingles, I have seen silicone eat a hole clear through a shingle.
Hi, the information to check and correct your insulation is valid. Although, much new construction with hips and valleys prevent you from insulating these areas. Heat also leaks up through light fixtures and vent pipes. Heat tape could help but had marginal results. There is a heated shingle new to the market . www.hotshingle.com Hope this is helpful.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!