I have an ice dam problem on my slow pitched roof and wanted some feedback. Since it is winter and I can't get a new roof until it gets warmer I need a good bandaid. Could I wait until the current snow melts on the roof and then lay a sheet of thick plastic on my current roof to eliminate further ice dams? I was thinking I could put the top edge of the pastic carefully under a high row of shingles and tack the whole piece of plastic around the edges sealing the nails with silicone. I know it's a temporary fix, but it would stop the water from seeping in.
ONE THING THAT I WOULD DO IS TO CHECK AND MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE ADEQUATE INSULATION IN YOUR ATTIC AND THAT IT GOES TO THE EDGE OF THE ROOF WITHOUT BLOCKING THE AIR FLOW TO YOUR SOFFIT VENTS. ANOTHER THING TO CHECK IS TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE ADEQUATE VENTILATION IN THE ATTIC. IF YOU DO, CHECK OUT YOUR SOFFIT AND ROOF VENTS AND MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARE NOT CLOGGED WITH DUST, ETC. THE SCREEN THAT THEY HAVE ON THESE VENTS COLLECT QUITE A BIT OF JUNK. IF THEY ARE CLOGGED, YOU SHOULD REPLACE THEM.
Very good advice above, never use silicone on asphalt or fiberglass shingles, silicone will damage the shingles, I have seen silicone eat a hole clear through a shingle.
Hi, the information to check and correct your insulation is valid. Although, much new construction with hips and valleys prevent you from insulating these areas. Heat also leaks up through light fixtures and vent pipes. Heat tape could help but had marginal results. There is a heated shingle new to the market . www.hotshingle.com Hope this is helpful.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 11 Signs of an Unhappy Houseplant
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 IKEA Favorites, DIY Style
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips