Wire length/gauge danger?
Also, if you go to 180 watts of load (15 amps) this is more of a load than 16 guage can safely handle. #14 house wire is only good for 15 amps & you are thinking of putting a possible 15 amp load on a smaller wire.
Just because it is low voltage, don't be lulled into thinking it can't pose a safety hazard.
What do you mean by:
"......by just connecting all into one circuit." ?
You can do this safely by having multiple branches from the same transformer......(were all the old transformers mounted in the same location?)
The problem occurs when you try to put all the fixtures on a single run............
Where are you coming from? The load is 180 watts. Watts/voltage = amps
My calculation shows 1.5 amps. Just hook it up and try it. You may have voltage drop and the last couple lights dimmer, but then again you may not.
The voltage is 12. Thus 180w / 12v = 15 amps. This would be the total load on the x-fmer and the wire at the beginning of the run. Unless all of the lights are at the end of this long run, the load on the wire at the end of the run will not be 15 amps.
As previously stated, I believe that #16 wire is too small from a safety standpoint .
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?