Converting a 220 v outlet to a 110
The cost should be nominal.
If you don't own this building,you probably shouldn't be modifying the electrical system on your own.
I would have thought that a 220 unit would be necessary to sufficiently cool the space, but my current 220 unit is only 10,700 btus and the new 110v unit is actually 12,500 btu. (with a much more energy efficient rating)
To make matters more complicated, the thru-the-wall sleeve is a VERY unusual size and there is not another 220 unit available to fit in the space.
It appears to me, that my best option is to convert the 220 outlet. (assuming it can be done safely and at a fair price)
i did find a webpage that describes a plug adapter that apparently converts a 220 outlet to 110 - but it is advertised as being for gas ranges - i'm not sure if this product would work for an A/C.
[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited August 04, 2003).]
No, this will not work.
You really do need an electrician. You really do not need a shocking experience!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!