Converting a 220 v outlet to a 110
The cost should be nominal.
If you don't own this building,you probably shouldn't be modifying the electrical system on your own.
I would have thought that a 220 unit would be necessary to sufficiently cool the space, but my current 220 unit is only 10,700 btus and the new 110v unit is actually 12,500 btu. (with a much more energy efficient rating)
To make matters more complicated, the thru-the-wall sleeve is a VERY unusual size and there is not another 220 unit available to fit in the space.
It appears to me, that my best option is to convert the 220 outlet. (assuming it can be done safely and at a fair price)
i did find a webpage that describes a plug adapter that apparently converts a 220 outlet to 110 - but it is advertised as being for gas ranges - i'm not sure if this product would work for an A/C.
[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited August 04, 2003).]
No, this will not work.
You really do need an electrician. You really do not need a shocking experience!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 5 Things to Do with... Colanders
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps