Drip edge necessary?
We are having a new house built, and the builder has installed the roofing and gutters with no drip edge along the eaves. This leaves the roof sheathing exposed between the shingles and the gutter(though the shingles extend past the edge of the sheathing). Is this typical, or should I be looking to get him to install the drip edge?
Absolutely a must!! I would recommend a 1"X2" "DL" drip edge. This should have been installed prior to the starter row (first row) of shingles. The "DL" actually protrudes about 1/2" beyond the decking. This eliminates the eventual drooping of the edge of the shingles. Without the dripedge, the rain will run back under the decking and behind the facia. This will cause wood rot and the paint on the facia to peel. They have to pull back the starter row in order to nail the drip edge. This should be installed on every edge of the roof, including the gable ends as well. Make the builder do it right or you will pay a pretty price later.
GOOD LUCK, Bill
GOOD LUCK, Bill
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!