COMMUNITY FORUM

BillOH

04:46AM | 09/05/03
Member Since: 07/21/02
48 lifetime posts
Bvelectrical
In my barn I got a shock when I touched the screw on the service panel. I checked with my meter and I got a reading of 120v between the cover screw and ground. No reading when I shut off the main. I isolated the problem to one circuit that has an outside mercury vapor light on it. I disconnected the neutral on that circuit and checked it and I was getting about 75v from it to ground. Since it was daylight the light was off, but it has an electric eye on it. The panel is new, 100 amp., installed by licensed electrician, the light circuit is 15 amp, new wire to the light. The light is new, installed last November. Don't know if it makes a difference but it has been very wet, lots of rain and high humidity here lately.

Do I have a short in the light? Or what could be the problem? Needless to say the light is disconnected for now.

Roger67

01:09PM | 09/06/03
Member Since: 08/30/02
19 lifetime posts
Bill, your electrician did not ground this panel correctly. Is the panel fed from your house or is it an individual service? Post back with this info, and I'll walk you through some diagnosis proceedures.

I don't know the situation but your electrician should waranty this for a period of one year.

Roger67

joed

04:20PM | 09/07/03
Member Since: 09/17/02
527 lifetime posts
The metal case of your service panel should be connected to ground. You have a problem in the ground sytem.

BillOH

03:27AM | 09/09/03
Member Since: 07/21/02
48 lifetime posts
The barn service comes from the meter on a pole, also the house connects here too (so I guess this means it is "stand-alone"). The box appears to be properly grounded with a heavy bare copper wire to a driven ground rod just on the other side of the wall from the panel. I haven't checked the outside connection but I will tonight! If that is OK, how can I check if it is actually grounding? Thanks for your help!

joed

06:10AM | 09/10/03
Member Since: 09/17/02
527 lifetime posts
If you have a proper ground and this is the main service entrance, Then I am going to GUESS that you might have an open neutral from the POCO causing your ground wire to carry return current though the ground and back to the transformer.

BillOH

10:01AM | 09/10/03
Member Since: 07/21/02
48 lifetime posts
Just to clarify, line comes from the street to a meter, then to a 200 amp. breaker box (also appears to be properly grounded) mounted just under the meter on the pole and the house, barn, a shed (also feeds the well pump) and garage branch separately from that box. I'm trying to understand why only this one light and one circuit is causing a problem, wouldn't an open ground be a problem in the whole system (or maye I'm not noticing it)? Is there a problem I should look for in the light itself? If it was a short wouldn't the breaker kick off? Thanks again.

BillOH

10:03AM | 09/10/03
Member Since: 07/21/02
48 lifetime posts
Ooops, meant to say "open neutral"
Click_to_reply_button Inspiration_banner

INSPIRATION GALLERY



Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply_choose_button

captcha
type the code from the image

Anonymous

Post_new_button or Login_button
Register

Follow_banner_a
Newsletter_icon Google_plus Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss_icon
 
webapp1