Electrical, Phone and CATV Runs
Hello, I am adding a 60 Amp subpanel to my detached garage. The service to the garage will be overhead from the main panel. I was wondering if it was proper to run CATV and phone cables bundled with the overhead electrical feeder from the main panel. If so what precautions are needed for saftey and noise reduction?
I'm not sure, but I would say no. I seem to remember reading that there should be a two foot distance, when possible, between your power and low voltage runs.
Maybe if it is sheilded in its own conduit?
I don't know where you're at, but here you cannot have antenna wire and power wires in the same conduit. I was able to run 2 separate conduits side-by-side, one for electrical and the other for TV/Speaker wire.
I work for a phone and catv company and no you can not run low voltage cable and high voltage cable in same conduit....but I NEVER had a problem running them parallel to electrial in walls or attics..
To eliminate any interference with television, computer, phone signals, you really want to keep line and low voltage min. 12" apart, preferably 18". And make sure that if the wires cross, they do so at 90 degrees. While you might not see much interference with a single 15A circuit, a 60A subpanel feed is much more likely to create interference on your low voltage lines.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING