I bought a 1916 2 story back in 1987. They had replaced the fusebox and cut all the wiring in the basement and replaced the knob-and-tube with sheathed electrical cable there plus replaced all the outlets with new one (still hooked up to the old wiring). At that time, I talked to a electrician and he gave an estimate of $6000 plus I would have to fix the holes he would have to cut in the walls. I ended up doing it myself for a little over $1000. If you don't hire someone and do it yourself, do talk to your local building inspectors office first. They gave me a lot of useful information on how to insure it's 100% legal when you're done. After I was done and was having my work inspected, I only had one minor item (not discussed), I didn't have a globe over a closet light. Very minor and easily fixed.
Do be sure to get a building permit for the work and have it inspected when done. If you don't and have a electrical fire, you might find your insurance won't cover the damage otherwise.
No connection to any building trade, just a homeowner that's also a do-it-yourselfer.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes