I bought a 1916 2 story back in 1987. They had replaced the fusebox and cut all the wiring in the basement and replaced the knob-and-tube with sheathed electrical cable there plus replaced all the outlets with new one (still hooked up to the old wiring). At that time, I talked to a electrician and he gave an estimate of $6000 plus I would have to fix the holes he would have to cut in the walls. I ended up doing it myself for a little over $1000. If you don't hire someone and do it yourself, do talk to your local building inspectors office first. They gave me a lot of useful information on how to insure it's 100% legal when you're done. After I was done and was having my work inspected, I only had one minor item (not discussed), I didn't have a globe over a closet light. Very minor and easily fixed.
Do be sure to get a building permit for the work and have it inspected when done. If you don't and have a electrical fire, you might find your insurance won't cover the damage otherwise.
No connection to any building trade, just a homeowner that's also a do-it-yourselfer.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!