I'm trying to use a small 220 welder (20amp)at my home, connecting it to my 220 dryer outlet (3 prong). Problem is the welder has the wrong plug. I believe it is considered a 50amp type plug. Best way to describe it is that is looks like a typical 3 prong 110v plug except it is larger and one of the prongs is wider than the other.
Is it possible to make an adapter/extension cord that will mate these two? I bought the appropriate wire from the hardware store (10/3). On the plug end, I bought a dryer type plug. I know the green wire is ground. Does it matter to which prong the other two (black and white) wires go to? The instructions don't make a distinction.
On the socket end of my extension cord, I bought a wall mount type socket than accepts the welder's plug. I assume the middle rounded prong is the ground? Does it matter to which of the other prongs (the wide and narrow) that the white and black wires are connected? I assume it must, but the instructions that came with these products are horrible. On the instructions, the prongs are only labeled x and y, not indicating if the white or black wire should be connected. Thanks
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!