I'm trying to use a small 220 welder (20amp)at my home, connecting it to my 220 dryer outlet (3 prong). Problem is the welder has the wrong plug. I believe it is considered a 50amp type plug. Best way to describe it is that is looks like a typical 3 prong 110v plug except it is larger and one of the prongs is wider than the other.
Is it possible to make an adapter/extension cord that will mate these two? I bought the appropriate wire from the hardware store (10/3). On the plug end, I bought a dryer type plug. I know the green wire is ground. Does it matter to which prong the other two (black and white) wires go to? The instructions don't make a distinction.
On the socket end of my extension cord, I bought a wall mount type socket than accepts the welder's plug. I assume the middle rounded prong is the ground? Does it matter to which of the other prongs (the wide and narrow) that the white and black wires are connected? I assume it must, but the instructions that came with these products are horrible. On the instructions, the prongs are only labeled x and y, not indicating if the white or black wire should be connected. Thanks
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes