I have two single pole dimmers that I'm trying to wire into an existing doublesided box (outlet and double pole switch on the other side) for recessed lights (which have not been installed yet).
Here's how I have it wired, I have the whites from the power and the one going to the recessed lights (btw, the wires going in and out are all 3 + ground sheathed electrical cable). I then have a black from each of the dimmers and the black from the power all wired together with a wire nut. And a black wire from the dimmer going to the red wire for the recessed lights and black from the other dimmer going to the black wire for the recessed lights (there's one sheathed electrical cable 3 wire cable going to the junction box on the first recessed light).
When I turn the switches off, and test the recessed lights wires, the tester is still saying there hot (like i said i still can't wire the actual lights, cuz i have to finish up the ceiling they are going into). They shouldn't be hot if the switches are off right? What am I doing wrong?
The way you say it is wired seems correct. Are you sure the dimmers are in the off position. Most dimmers come from the factory in the on position. Sorry to ask a seemingly stupid question but sometimes the obvious gets by us.
thanks. no question is too stupid, but unfortunately yes they were off. I actually tried them in both the on and off position. maybe i'm somehow doing something screwy with the tester. i don't know if it means anything by the dimmers are backlit when off and not backlit when on, which makes me think they are doing something right. maybe when i get the recessed housings up there in a few weeks, i found out i did it right.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees