leaking from roof around chimney
It is dang near impossible to tell where and how it is leaking site unseen. I know you probably have but, take a flashlight up in the attic and look for water stains, remember water will run down, across, drip, and the leak may not be right above where you see the damage in the house. May not even be around the fireplace. See if you can't pinpoint the exact location of the leak instead of generally calking. Look at the rig row(very top shingles) and make sure none were cracked from bending or steppng on.(do not step on the rig row). If all else fails, you may need to get one more opinion.
You could also try having someone on the outside(maybe even on the roof) spraying with the hose from all different angles(but not up, simulate rain) and someone in the attic with a light to see if you can't pinpoint the leak. You really need to pinpoint the leak before you can fix it. And like I said, it is possible it may not be the fireplace.
Hope this helps.
IF you are going to have to replace any rock from the damage you may try cutting out the piece to replace then do the water hose and looking like that. You cannot however (not recomended) replace the rock until the leak is fixed.
In any case, I hope your roofer is successfull!
I awoke to the rain as many probably did this morning. When walking down the stairs, my nightgown became soaked with water as it hit the stairs. I thought the dog may have had an accident, but there was not any odor.
In investigating the problem, I realized the water was coming from the light fixture over the stairs. I pulled down the stairs, went up into the area above the second floor and saw the roof was leaking around the chimney making a track of water along the line of the plywood and dripping onto the insulation. Apparently the water made its way to the light fixture over the stairs. As it dripped down over the light fixture, it fell making puddles on the stairs.
I put a plastic bin up there to catch whatever it can, but this definitely needs to be fixed. I emailed the person responsible for the roof job, but who knows if I'll hear from him. Any suggestions as to DYI for me out there folks?
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING