leaking from roof around chimney
It is dang near impossible to tell where and how it is leaking site unseen. I know you probably have but, take a flashlight up in the attic and look for water stains, remember water will run down, across, drip, and the leak may not be right above where you see the damage in the house. May not even be around the fireplace. See if you can't pinpoint the exact location of the leak instead of generally calking. Look at the rig row(very top shingles) and make sure none were cracked from bending or steppng on.(do not step on the rig row). If all else fails, you may need to get one more opinion.
You could also try having someone on the outside(maybe even on the roof) spraying with the hose from all different angles(but not up, simulate rain) and someone in the attic with a light to see if you can't pinpoint the leak. You really need to pinpoint the leak before you can fix it. And like I said, it is possible it may not be the fireplace.
Hope this helps.
IF you are going to have to replace any rock from the damage you may try cutting out the piece to replace then do the water hose and looking like that. You cannot however (not recomended) replace the rock until the leak is fixed.
In any case, I hope your roofer is successfull!
I awoke to the rain as many probably did this morning. When walking down the stairs, my nightgown became soaked with water as it hit the stairs. I thought the dog may have had an accident, but there was not any odor.
In investigating the problem, I realized the water was coming from the light fixture over the stairs. I pulled down the stairs, went up into the area above the second floor and saw the roof was leaking around the chimney making a track of water along the line of the plywood and dripping onto the insulation. Apparently the water made its way to the light fixture over the stairs. As it dripped down over the light fixture, it fell making puddles on the stairs.
I put a plastic bin up there to catch whatever it can, but this definitely needs to be fixed. I emailed the person responsible for the roof job, but who knows if I'll hear from him. Any suggestions as to DYI for me out there folks?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips