Hi all! Here's my trouble: On Cir #7, I have 4 standard 120v duplex outlets. When tested with the circuit analyzer, they are registering "OPEN GROUND". When we pulled one outlet out of the wall, blk&white wires were screwed down and the ground wire was as well (2-wire cable w/ground). Why do they register "OPEN GROUND" when tested? Could one outlet on that circuit NOT be grounded at all? What is the best way to fix the problem?
You have an open ground wire somewhere on the circuit. It could even be in the main panel. Is the entire circuit wired with 2 wire + ground cable? Sometimes people add on to existing circuits that don't have a ground.
More info: after further testing, we have found that 2 of the 4 duplex outlets do in fact APPEAR to have black,white and grd; all secured. The end does NOT have a grd same holds true for the first. Is there a method to ADD a ground to #1 and #4? I alos note #1 and #4 are in plastic boxes, not metal.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!