My house was built in the early 70s using aluminum wiring. Last night i heard a buzzing coming from a receptacle. A light and a stereo system were plugged into it (neither were on at the time). I immediately unplugged them. One of the plugs was warm (not hot, just a little warm). The receptacle was also a little warm.
Today I replaced the receptacle and wired the new one just like the old one...2 wires on each side. The plug-in tester I bought indicated that it was installed correctly and there was no more buzzing and the receptacle and plugs stayed cool to the touch.
The problem arose a few hours later when my wife ask me what was wrong with the dining room light. Now that receptacle, which is immediately to the left of the replaced one, seems to be dead. The plug-in tester doesn't light up at all (it says that means open ground) and the light plugged into it doesn't work.
Help!! What did i mess up?
Call an electrician who specializes in aluminum branch circuits. Look in the yellow pages, ask at the local electrical supply, ask your electrical inspector for the name of one. Don't use those circuits until a qualified electrician checks it out. Make sure your fire insurance is paid up.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Celebrity Kitchens: Get the Look
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs