My house was built in the early 70s using aluminum wiring. Last night i heard a buzzing coming from a receptacle. A light and a stereo system were plugged into it (neither were on at the time). I immediately unplugged them. One of the plugs was warm (not hot, just a little warm). The receptacle was also a little warm.
Today I replaced the receptacle and wired the new one just like the old one...2 wires on each side. The plug-in tester I bought indicated that it was installed correctly and there was no more buzzing and the receptacle and plugs stayed cool to the touch.
The problem arose a few hours later when my wife ask me what was wrong with the dining room light. Now that receptacle, which is immediately to the left of the replaced one, seems to be dead. The plug-in tester doesn't light up at all (it says that means open ground) and the light plugged into it doesn't work.
Help!! What did i mess up?
Call an electrician who specializes in aluminum branch circuits. Look in the yellow pages, ask at the local electrical supply, ask your electrical inspector for the name of one. Don't use those circuits until a qualified electrician checks it out. Make sure your fire insurance is paid up.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- How to Refinish a Dresser
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY