My house was built in the early 70s using aluminum wiring. Last night i heard a buzzing coming from a receptacle. A light and a stereo system were plugged into it (neither were on at the time). I immediately unplugged them. One of the plugs was warm (not hot, just a little warm). The receptacle was also a little warm.
Today I replaced the receptacle and wired the new one just like the old one...2 wires on each side. The plug-in tester I bought indicated that it was installed correctly and there was no more buzzing and the receptacle and plugs stayed cool to the touch.
The problem arose a few hours later when my wife ask me what was wrong with the dining room light. Now that receptacle, which is immediately to the left of the replaced one, seems to be dead. The plug-in tester doesn't light up at all (it says that means open ground) and the light plugged into it doesn't work.
Help!! What did i mess up?
Call an electrician who specializes in aluminum branch circuits. Look in the yellow pages, ask at the local electrical supply, ask your electrical inspector for the name of one. Don't use those circuits until a qualified electrician checks it out. Make sure your fire insurance is paid up.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 10 DIY Ways Renters Can Customize Their Space
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Secondhand Shopping Tips