My house was built in the early 70s using aluminum wiring. Last night i heard a buzzing coming from a receptacle. A light and a stereo system were plugged into it (neither were on at the time). I immediately unplugged them. One of the plugs was warm (not hot, just a little warm). The receptacle was also a little warm.
Today I replaced the receptacle and wired the new one just like the old one...2 wires on each side. The plug-in tester I bought indicated that it was installed correctly and there was no more buzzing and the receptacle and plugs stayed cool to the touch.
The problem arose a few hours later when my wife ask me what was wrong with the dining room light. Now that receptacle, which is immediately to the left of the replaced one, seems to be dead. The plug-in tester doesn't light up at all (it says that means open ground) and the light plugged into it doesn't work.
Help!! What did i mess up?
Call an electrician who specializes in aluminum branch circuits. Look in the yellow pages, ask at the local electrical supply, ask your electrical inspector for the name of one. Don't use those circuits until a qualified electrician checks it out. Make sure your fire insurance is paid up.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes