My house was built in the early 70s using aluminum wiring. Last night i heard a buzzing coming from a receptacle. A light and a stereo system were plugged into it (neither were on at the time). I immediately unplugged them. One of the plugs was warm (not hot, just a little warm). The receptacle was also a little warm.
Today I replaced the receptacle and wired the new one just like the old one...2 wires on each side. The plug-in tester I bought indicated that it was installed correctly and there was no more buzzing and the receptacle and plugs stayed cool to the touch.
The problem arose a few hours later when my wife ask me what was wrong with the dining room light. Now that receptacle, which is immediately to the left of the replaced one, seems to be dead. The plug-in tester doesn't light up at all (it says that means open ground) and the light plugged into it doesn't work.
Help!! What did i mess up?
Call an electrician who specializes in aluminum branch circuits. Look in the yellow pages, ask at the local electrical supply, ask your electrical inspector for the name of one. Don't use those circuits until a qualified electrician checks it out. Make sure your fire insurance is paid up.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees